Bill on East Africa Atrocities Passes House 418 to 1March 11, 2010
At last some good news on the East Africa front.
What does the legislation entail?
• Condemns the murder and mutilation of people with albinism in East Africa;
• Urges governments in East Africa, particularly the governments of Tanzania and Burundi, to take immediate action to prevent further violence against persons with albinism;
• Calls for swift justice against those who have engaged in such reprehensible practices,
• Calls upon governments in East Africa, along with international organizations, other donors, and the United States, to actively support the education of people with albinism about the prevention of skin cancer and provide appropriate levels of assistance;
• And urges the United States to assist the governments of East Africa and other organizations to seek elimination of violence against people with albinism.